Food & Drinks

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bánh Mì for Me!

Bánh mì thịt nướng.png

Lunch time is a pretty special occasion. Sometimes. I don't have a very demanding job. I'm here early, do some reports, fiddle around on line, help out with getting things done in the office, type up emails for my boss (he cannot type - I consider this job security for myself), etc.

So when lunch time finally gets here (anywhere between 10:30 A.M. and 1:00 P.M) it's time for me to break up the monotony of office life. I bring my lunch from home often. So my usual lunch routine is to pull out last nights leftovers from the office refrigerator and heat them up if necessary.

Yesterday was different. I didn't have leftovers yesterday. I felt like some Thai or Vietnamese. I perused close by restaurant and shop menus. I came across a new place called Banh Mi Express Sandwiches. The menu items looked decent and I'd never tried a bánh mì before.

Banh Mi is a sandwich. It's Vietnamese with a French influence. Many bánh mì have pork liver pate, crispy veggies, head cheese, and fish sauce or mayonnaise or both. It comes on crispy crunchy thin bread. It's slightly chewy and holds all of the ingredients in.

Yesterday I tried the grilled garlic shrimp. This is not a very traditional bánh mì, but it's a start for those of us that haven't ever had a true bánh mì and don't really want head cheese on their sandwich. Not yet anyway.



I have to say: Deliciousness on airy crispy bread. The shrimp was of course wonderful. I loved the crispy vegetables all over. It included daikon, radishes, pickled carrots, cilantro and a combination of mayonnaise and fish sauce.


I'll be having one of these again. Next time I'll try a traditional bánh mì.

No comments:

Post a Comment