Food & Drinks

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Carnitas and a Cocktail

Fall is officially here. Pumpkin beers are seen in every grocery store. The squash section of said grocery store has grown much larger (thankfully). Sweet potatoes have more meaning. The dutch oven comes out (but was it really ever put away?). The leaves are turning color and falling into small little piles along the side walks. In a week they won't be small piles.



Right now I'm still enjoying mid 70's temperature. This includes, sunshine, light sweaters or none at all, and walking home from work until it's too cold. See, that's what I do for activity. I walk. I really enjoy it. I live in Chicago and it's a really walkable city. It's a pretty good walk. Nearly 3 miles. So I figure that can count as what I do to keep fit or active or to work out. I don't enjoy working out. I hate gyms. For the deep freeze winter that is upon us I have a home work out dvd that I sort of enjoy. The only reason I work out is because I'm no longer in my 20's, I still would like to hope that I could possibly look like I'm in my 20's, and because I enjoy food and drinks. Lots of both.

If you've ever been to Chicago you know this city has lots of food. And drinks. Mixology bars everywhere! Gastropubs right next door! I don't say this is bad. Not at all. I enjoy the convenience of it all. But it's part of why I have to at least walk home from work often and/or put in my home work out dvd.

All that being said, I'm excited to start blogging. Sharing my experiences in food and drinks with everyone. I'm hoping I'll get a lot of ideas from people, other bloggers, readers, experts (because I am by no means an expert in either field).

So tonight for dinner I'm making adobo style pork carnitas in the dutch oven. Because this is my first post I'm not going over the details of my meal (because I didn't take pictures in time). I'll share with you the basic ingredients:

2 cups chopped tomatoes
2 lb pork loin roast chopped into chunks
garlic (a lot)
1/4 cup green chiles
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (canned about 3 peppers - they're hot)

I patted the chopped loin with spices and fried the pieces in canola oil in the dutch oven until they were crispy with a nice deep brown color all over. I removed them and placed them on a plate for the next steps.
To deglaze I used some red wine left over from a couple of nights ago, put in the garlic and the tomatoes, the chiles let it simmer until slightly (ever so slightly) reduced and placed the loin pieces into the dutch oven on low heat for 2-3 hours (all on stove top).

I like to use corn tortillas, onion and cilantro. Perhaps a dollop of fat free greek yogurt atop to cool it down a bit (these are a bit spicy). You could use sour cream too. I just don't happen to have any sour cream.


Tonight the cocktail isn't really fall appropriate but I don't go by the seasons for what's good to eat or drink. Okay, I guess I do a little. But not always.

There might possibly be a name for this already. I'll call it the Lime Fal (you'll see why I leave off the extra 'l' in 'fall').
What you see there are all the ingredients. Three of them.

2 oz of medium cask rum - whatever kind you like. I use El Dorado Rum 5 yr for this one.
1/2 oz of Velvet Flernum (see, see? Fal - ernum. I know, I'm terribly clever.)
1/2 oz of fresh squeezed lime juice - about a half a lime



Fill cocktail shaker up half way with ice add ingredients. Shake vigorously. Strain into goblet or cocktail glass of choice. Garnish with lime twist.



If you don't already know Velvet Flernum is a sugar cane spirit (rum) with flavors of lime, almond, clove and is sweet. It's a great ingredient. I believe it's popular in Mai Tai's, but I feel it's good in many cocktails.

No comments:

Post a Comment